Friday, January 4, 2013

Story 4 Cancer

I realize that cancer is a well funded cause and there are probably more deserving charities out there, but it's a personal cause for me as it claimed my mother and two of her sisters as well as trying to take my father. With those genetics on my side I have no doubt that some day it will be my fight as well. So cancer is my personal cause and always will be.

The purpose of this blog is to motivate people to donate to any officially recognized cancer charity. Each time somebody donates, in any monetary amount, I'll post a new chapter to the story "Superdrive." No donations, no new chapters. Not to suggest "Superdrive" is any great work of art that the world will be deprived of should nobody donate ... because it's just some light entertainment being produced by an unpublished author. So this is really just an excuse for people to chip in a few bucks to a worthy cause and get a couple minutes of reading in the deal.

Each donation will prompt a chapter release, at the rate of one per day, seven days per week. If three people donate in one day, the next three days are covered. If after that, nobody donates for a week, that'd mean three chapters and then nothing until somebody else donates.

Here's how this works:

1) DO NOT SEND ME ANY MONEY. Not a dime. That's not what we're looking for.

2) Find an official cancer charity, either local, national, or international. A five minute google search ought to yield something.

3) Donate to said charity, in any amount.

4) Leave a comment here detailing what specific charity you donated to and how much. I'll be keeping a running tally of how much gets donated as we move along. There's no need to prove you donated, we're working on the honor system here. It'd be a pretty crappy thing to say you donated without actually doing it, so hopefully nobody will do that.

5) If you donate a particularly large amount, and you want me to answer one question about the plot of "Superdrive" or give you a spoiler, that can be arranged. But this is the one case where I'd need some kind of proof that you donated.

Well, it's just this simple! So let's get this going and see if anything actually comes out of it. As long as people donate I'll keep this up. When "Superdrive" finishes, I'd start up a new story.

1 comment:

  1. I donated about an hour to the Love/Avon Army of Women right before Christmas. That's at least half a paragraph, right?

    ReplyDelete